Applications are invited for the position of Director of the LASA Film Festival, the festival of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA). The Festival takes places during LASA Congresses.
Duties will begin on June 1, 2018 and the first festival to appear under the name of the newly appointed Director will be the LASA2019 Film Festival. Contracts to direct the festival normally are two years in duration, although the LASA Ways and Means Committee has the right to award a contract for a different time period.
In accordance with LASA’s mission, a high quality festival should reflect the interdisciplinary nature and goals of the institution. The following criteria, describing the various potential expertise involved in the position, will be considered in selecting the Director:
- Extensive knowledge of film production in the region (the Latin American film community, filmmakers, festivals specialized in Latin American films, film offices in the region, community initiatives in the region and distributors), trends and key players.
- A record of scholarship on film, and/or work experience in the curatorial and programming practices, and/or work experience in film production and/or distribution.
- Understanding of and experience with the wide variety of activities associated with film festival production, including submissions, reviewing, selection process, programming and editing of a program book.
- Familiarity with the present state of the field, its strengths and challenges, and a vision for its future.
- Record of responsible service to the field and evidence of organizational skill and intellectual leadership.
LASA allocates resources to the Film Festival Director including travel to LASA conferences; however, it does not pay for office space, release time or salary. It is important that the Association be provided with information that supports the feasibility of the Director’s application. In the past, University contributions to the Film Festival Director have included: time release from teaching for the Director; adequate office space; salary support for a Director Assistant.
It is expected that completed proposals will identify the proposed new Director(s) and their qualifications, and may include a proposed advisory board that will serve as a selection committee.
The LASA Secretariat is responsible for all administrative, operational, and financial support functions associated with the production of the Film Festival.
Completed proposals must be received by May 1, 2018 and should be directed to: Milagros Pereyra-Rojas, Executive Director, Latin American Studies Association (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications will be reviewed by the LASA Ways and Means committee, which will present its final selection to the Executive Council for its approval. The LASA Executive Director will work out the contractual agreement with the nominee. The final decision is expected by May 30, 2018.
About the Latin American Studies Association (LASA)
The Latin American Studies Association (LASA) is the largest professional Association in the world for individuals and institutions engaged in the study of Latin America. With over 12,000 members, over 65 percent of whom reside outside the United States, LASA is the one association that brings together experts on Latin America from all disciplines and diverse occupational endeavors, across the globe. LASA's mission is to foster intellectual discussion, research, and teaching on Latin America, the Caribbean, and its people throughout the Americas, promote the interests of its diverse membership, and encourage civic engagement through network building and public debate.
If you wish to interview a LASA Executive Council member, you can contact the LASA communications office at (412) 648-7929 or email@example.com.